Love Those Stringed Instruments.

Love Those Stringed Instruments.
Wood Made More Beautiful Than Ever

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

No Charles Atlas, But No Girly Man Either



Perhaps Desmond Tutu has some things to say to us about being a man and a follower of Christ.

I have finished reading Archbishop Desmond Tutu's little book entitled "God Has a Dream-A Vision of Hope for Our Time." I highly recommend reading it. You will find that he holds some potentially "politically incorrect" views on some social matters. I will not go into them as you should read and formulate your own analysis of what he has to say. However, I would implore you to "read through" those statements. Don't let them cause you to stop or become over critical. We, who consider ourselves to be "Evangelicals", have a tendency to write entire persons or people groups off if they don't agree with us on some particular issue. We also identify ourselves not as individuals but representatives of a group, "Evangelicals." We actually short change ourselves when we do this. I am reminded of Soren Kierkegaard's statement, "Label me, negate me." When we place a label on someone based upon one attitude or view that they have that is contrary to our beliefs or feelings, we tend to shut them out completely. In political terms this is referred to as a litmus test. I am sure all of you have used litmus paper to determine the acidity or baseness of an element or compound. This process of litmus testing people's attitudes and labeling them conservative, liberal, progressive, gay, straight, left, right, patriot, traitor is a tool, is an action, which demands division, separation. If Christ separated himself from anyone it was the hypocrites, not the sinners. If we are to come out from among them it is to come out from those who are hypocrites and embrace those who are sinners...like me. Also, what is politically incorrect to one person may be political perfection to another. I, therefore, call all of you to "understanding" not "negating." Wouldn't it be sad if someone were to negate you because of your beliefs? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Charles Atlas was thought to be "the most perfect human specimen of a man in the entire world." I remember my grandparents and parents applying that title to him. He first showed up on the scene in the 1920's. Now, in the year 2008 a question is begged. How could he be considered "the most perfect" if not all men were considered? It is no accident that Asians, Africans, South Americans and other people groups were not considered to even be in the running. That title was given in a totally, racially prejudiced world view setting. Though he certainly was handsome and strong, his title was a lie. I am reminded of Samuel seeking the next King of Israel. It's the HEART boys! It's the HEART!

When I saw the two pictures of Charles and Desmond I could not help but see this amazing principle visually glaring out at me, and I think to anyone who desires to be honest. The two images could not be more culturally, physically, and racially opposite. It just jumps out at me! I must admit to striving to be more like Charles at one time in my life. I had no chance. Now, I'd love to strive to be more like my brother in Christ, Desmond Tutu. I think he is a man after God's own heart. The Bible teaches that I have little or not chance to be like Mr. Atlas. It teaches that even if I could achieve this it would be of little value. But, God's Word also teaches that I can be "Just Like Desmond!" I can get there and in doing so...be more like Christ...be more "a real man." I to, can be a man after God's own heart. That would last me forever. All of us can. WOW! Desmond and Jesus may look like twins?! Shocking.

One final issue. I know nothing of Mr. Atlas's life other than the pictures and the physical fitness advertisements that were based upon his image and his workout system and ethic. He may have been a follower of Christ. I do not know. I do not mean to be judgmental towards him. I am simply taking his image and the use of his image and juxtaposing it to a much different image (Tutu) and what it has been used for.

Off I go to the health club!

3 comments:

Josh said...

I have too many thoughts on this topic to just fit it into a small comment so I'm am looking forward to discussing this at Bible Study.

Mike K said...

Desmond Tutu is certainly a better example of a man than Charles Atlas if for no other reason than we know what he stands for and with Charles Atlas we don't.

We are always on a very slippery slope whenever we look to a man as an example of the "perfect man" or even a "good man" the only legitimate example we have of a Godly man in any global or exhaustive sense is of course Jesus. That isn't to say we can't or shouldn't look to other men as examples and seek to emulate them.

The key I believe is in your comments about putting some in a box or giving them a label. None of us are consistent examples of anything. We are all an amalgam of conflicting beliefs, values, and actions. We all have admirable qualities and selfish qualities stained by sin.

The key to becoming a Godly man is to study God not man! What are His values, His behaviors, His passions; what does He love, what does He hate. Phil. 2 isn't a bad place to start.

The trouble with trying to emulate God is that the gulf between where we are and God is seems pretty wide. The approach that has worked for me is to study the attributes of God as reflected in what is written about Him in scripture and attribute by attribute look for examples in men I admire. Always being cognizant of the fact that if I look at anyone very long I will also find negative examples I don't want to emulate.

My earthy father was a great example of God's unconditional love and he always put the needs of his family before his own. I have sought to emulate that aspect of my father since becoming a man myself. He was also a bigot and in some ways a cheat and a liar. Those qualities I have sought to eliminate from my life.

It has been my practice as I know it is yours Bruce to read books written by great men looking for inspiration. But the quest is a bit like eating fish you need to learn how the ingest the meat while spitting out the bones.

Your buddy,

Mike

Unknown said...

there really are to many things to bother typing them all out but i think your spotting of the contrast between atlas and tutu is right on and i hope to get ahold of this book asap.