
Time waits for no man. Someone said that. I am not sure who. It could be a Roman quote. It could be a Persian quote. It could be an Arabic quote. It could be a Hebrew quote. It could be a Chinese quote. Maybe it was Ben Franklin. Perhaps it was Rodney Dangerfield! But, you know, it could be a Greek quote! I am really into the Greeks ever since I saw and then reviewed the movie "300" about the Spartans taking on the Persian armies of Xerxes at Thermopylae. The score, according to the Greek historian Herodotus, was 20,000 warriors of Xerxes dead to 300 Spartans lost, lead by their King Leonidas. It was pivotal in turning the tide of conquest away from the Greek city states. Once at war with each other they united against a common enemy, the Persian King Xerxes, who dreamed of conquering all of Europe to The Pillars of Hercules, what we now refer to as the "Rock of Gibraltar." (I like "Pillars of Hercules" much better.) Anyway, Tempus Fugit, literally Time is a Fugitive, or Time Flies. That is so true with me. It is what you could call a "multicultural truth." Oh, by the way, Xerxes turned tail and fled back to Persia from whence he came. Europe was never conquered by the Persians though the Ottomans later came close.
In the next month or so I am going to read all of the books that I have on the ancient Greeks. I'll be reading Plato, Aristotle, Homer, Herodotus, Thucydides, Socrates, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, Aristophanes, and Hippocrates. These books are part of my Britannica Great Books collection that I inherited from my father. I've seen this collection at the Half Price Book Stores on a number of occasions. The collection didn't change from 1952 to the year 2000. Then in 2001 they added six books that contained works from the 20th Century. Their thought behind adding them was that it takes time before something can be consider truly classic and great. The books that they included in the new edition go up to 1950. The editors are reticent to consider anything newer than fifty years as old enough to be classical. The edition I have includes works up to, but not including the 20th Century. When I see these sets at the store I discover that most of the books have not even been opened much less read. The gold gilding on the top, which acts as dust and humidity protection for the books, is still stuck to itself. This means that the books were never even opened...time flew for someone I guess. I have already made a significant dent in this collection as I have read Homer, Herodotus, Aeschylus, and much of Plato. Plato I have read sections only. I am going to start each of the other Greeks, and Plato, at the beginning of their writings and take them all the way through to the end. This should be interesting. I can't wait to get them all "inside my head" and see what that leads too. I've got perhaps six weeks of reading ahead of me. I am constantly entertained.
I listened to one of the great American literature critics one time on a television interview. His name is Harold Bloom. He noted to his interviewer, Charlie Rose, that we have just so many years, months, and days that we are allowed to live. His passion is the writings of the great men and women of history. He admonished anyone who was listening to not waste time. Don't read poor quality books. Rather, read that which (We) know is great and worthwhile. He reminded Charlie that some people are truly gifted and in differing ways. Some are great painters. Some are great authors and poets. Some are great scientists...and some are great readers. He said we should listen to those who are great readers. He humbly admitted that he was in that classification...he was not bragging. He just wanted to help those who want to know what to read with the finite time they have to read. "Read the good books!" was Mr. Bloom's admonishment, "Let me help you choose, please." Well, I am off on that journey and I hope you find a journey of your own.
I was raised in a church and in a family that valued The Bible above all other books. I trust that you have that same value. At our current church we value it so highly that we refer to it as God's Word. I am not sure that Mr. Bloom has that same value scale, but he does respect Scripture very much. I've spent years studying "The Bible" and I will not stop now. Lord willing, I'll be able to continue to teach from it. At the same time I believe that it is a mistake to think that God wants us to be exclusive in our studies. I believe He desires that we get to know and understand our fellow men/women as thoroughly as we can. In doing so we will be better able to walk in their shoes, understand where they are coming from, and better help them to understand how God has worked throughout human history to save us all through His grace. Don't neglect your Biblical studies. At the same time be curious about the world. There are great men and women out there who can teach us much about life and understanding them, too, helps us know ourselves and our Lord better.
Off I go to the deck and more Greek readings. Time is a wasting. What are you learning about God, your life, and the lives of others this week? Don't be bored. There is not excuse considering what is out there to read!
In the next month or so I am going to read all of the books that I have on the ancient Greeks. I'll be reading Plato, Aristotle, Homer, Herodotus, Thucydides, Socrates, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides, Aristophanes, and Hippocrates. These books are part of my Britannica Great Books collection that I inherited from my father. I've seen this collection at the Half Price Book Stores on a number of occasions. The collection didn't change from 1952 to the year 2000. Then in 2001 they added six books that contained works from the 20th Century. Their thought behind adding them was that it takes time before something can be consider truly classic and great. The books that they included in the new edition go up to 1950. The editors are reticent to consider anything newer than fifty years as old enough to be classical. The edition I have includes works up to, but not including the 20th Century. When I see these sets at the store I discover that most of the books have not even been opened much less read. The gold gilding on the top, which acts as dust and humidity protection for the books, is still stuck to itself. This means that the books were never even opened...time flew for someone I guess. I have already made a significant dent in this collection as I have read Homer, Herodotus, Aeschylus, and much of Plato. Plato I have read sections only. I am going to start each of the other Greeks, and Plato, at the beginning of their writings and take them all the way through to the end. This should be interesting. I can't wait to get them all "inside my head" and see what that leads too. I've got perhaps six weeks of reading ahead of me. I am constantly entertained.
I listened to one of the great American literature critics one time on a television interview. His name is Harold Bloom. He noted to his interviewer, Charlie Rose, that we have just so many years, months, and days that we are allowed to live. His passion is the writings of the great men and women of history. He admonished anyone who was listening to not waste time. Don't read poor quality books. Rather, read that which (We) know is great and worthwhile. He reminded Charlie that some people are truly gifted and in differing ways. Some are great painters. Some are great authors and poets. Some are great scientists...and some are great readers. He said we should listen to those who are great readers. He humbly admitted that he was in that classification...he was not bragging. He just wanted to help those who want to know what to read with the finite time they have to read. "Read the good books!" was Mr. Bloom's admonishment, "Let me help you choose, please." Well, I am off on that journey and I hope you find a journey of your own.
I was raised in a church and in a family that valued The Bible above all other books. I trust that you have that same value. At our current church we value it so highly that we refer to it as God's Word. I am not sure that Mr. Bloom has that same value scale, but he does respect Scripture very much. I've spent years studying "The Bible" and I will not stop now. Lord willing, I'll be able to continue to teach from it. At the same time I believe that it is a mistake to think that God wants us to be exclusive in our studies. I believe He desires that we get to know and understand our fellow men/women as thoroughly as we can. In doing so we will be better able to walk in their shoes, understand where they are coming from, and better help them to understand how God has worked throughout human history to save us all through His grace. Don't neglect your Biblical studies. At the same time be curious about the world. There are great men and women out there who can teach us much about life and understanding them, too, helps us know ourselves and our Lord better.
Off I go to the deck and more Greek readings. Time is a wasting. What are you learning about God, your life, and the lives of others this week? Don't be bored. There is not excuse considering what is out there to read!
1 comment:
Bruce,
What a scholar you have become. Here I am taking a speech class to finally finish my Assoc. Degree thinking I am something and you are taking on a task like this. Send me the "Bruce's Notes!" Good Luck Brother!
Dan Moore
Post a Comment