"After David had finished talking with Saul, Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself. From that day Saul kept David with him and did not let him return to his father's house. And Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as himself. Jonathan took off the robe he was wearing and gave it to David, along with his tunic, and even his sword, his bow and his belt." I Samuel 18:1-4 NIV
We have covered the biblical story of the relationship of Jonathan and David a number of times from multiple angles in both our Sunday school class and in small group. I have added a picture of a fellow by the name of Tim (Timothy) and his sister Vickie (Victoria) to the blog. I did so to illustrate a point and also make a statement. I have known Tim and his sister for 45 years. I met Tim when we were going into sixth grade. One fond memory I have of him was that he had a lead part in a sixth grade school play. He was a little Dutch boy and was the hero. He got the girl! The title of the show (I think) was Windmills of Holland. He sang a solo whose lyrics went something like this: "Windmills of Holland are turning, round and around and around. Slowly, sedately, majestic, and stately, around they goooo." I find it interesting that I remember that little play and can sing that song to this day...forty-five years later.
Tim and I continued to grow, we went to high school together, he came to know the Lord as his personal savior there, he and I were involved with Campus Life (he more than I), we played football at school, were for a time on the gymnastics team together, he graduated from Trinity University (the Evangelical Free Church's university in the Chicagoland area), we both found girl friends, we were in each others weddings, and for the most part we have stayed in touch with each others lives over the years. There have been trials and tribulations for both of us, but we have weathered them. There has been a time of separation from each other, but we were, by the grace of God, reunited. His sister Vickie is about ten years our senior and she was well on her way to being an adult, married with children, before I realized that I was in love with her. Actually, I had a little guy crush on her. She had and still has the most beautiful eyes. They make Betty Davis's eyes look common. (If you don't understand that reference talk to your grandparents.)
There is something special about Tim to me. It is hard to put a finger on it. It is as if he is always there. Even during the period of separation...he was always there. I would think of him as often as I would close friends that I would see in church every weekend. I don't want to sound mystical or New Age, but there were times when I thought of Tim and knew, in my heart, that he was in trouble or going through hard times. I just knew. I can not prove this to you, you may not believe me, but I know it is true and I am willing to testify to you that it was so. One night, after a very long separation, I felt the leading of the Holy Spirit to look Tim up and then to write him a long and sincere letter. When he received it he called almost immediately. We just picked up where we had left off. I loved his mother, I loved his father, I loved his entire family. What is this feeling I have for Timothy?
I think it is what the Bible says about Jonathan and David. "Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself." That is it. I became at some point "one in spirit with Timothy." I can not remember when it happened, it just did. He and I have another mutual friend Jeffrey, and I can say that about him too. The three of us are in some way "one in spirit." Read the book of I Samuel all the way through. Get a flavor of the times in which David and Jonathtsan lived. You will find that it was harsh and dangerous. You will read stories of God choosing men because of their hearts and not their appearances. You will read stories of political intrigue, jealousy, hatred, conspiracy, joy, treachery, mental illness and more, but through it all you will find a bond between these two men that God honored and whose story He preserved, so that we could have a good example of how full of love, grace, mercy, faithfulness, and wonder God is. He gives us these things very often in the form of a friendship between two men that become one in spirit.
I mean this following statement literally. I would gladly die for Tim and/or Jeffrey. I also know that they would rather sacrifice themselves than let me die in their place. I am sure if one of them read this posting he would make some sort of joke about, not being willing to die for me, but happy that I would be willing to die for him. After all we are friends and humor has been a big part of our relationships. However, in my heart I KNOW IT IS TRUE FOR ALL THREE OF US.
I don't use the term "best friend" for it causes all sorts of trouble. My love for my fellow beings knows no limits as it is grounded and supplied by our Lord Jesus Christ. I do not need to qualify my relationships in this manner. I have multiple friendships, many here in our little town and church, that are as one in spirit with me as my relationship with Tim. Tim...I've just been united with him in spirit the longest...that is all. That, my friends, is a blessing beyond the words of this post.
Friends should and can last a life time. Be aware that they are precious gifts from our Lord. Be aware that you have an obligation to be a friend like that to someone, it isn't about just you, it is about the other as Jonathan loved David as he loved himself. Work at it. You have to give yourself away. You have to take a chance. You have to love. You have to accept hurts. You must be willing to forgive and be forgiven. Friendship is a wondrous thing. And friendship of friendship...is Jesus a friend to all of us? Wasn't He willing to die in our place? Are you one in spirit with Him? If not...let's talk.
We have covered the biblical story of the relationship of Jonathan and David a number of times from multiple angles in both our Sunday school class and in small group. I have added a picture of a fellow by the name of Tim (Timothy) and his sister Vickie (Victoria) to the blog. I did so to illustrate a point and also make a statement. I have known Tim and his sister for 45 years. I met Tim when we were going into sixth grade. One fond memory I have of him was that he had a lead part in a sixth grade school play. He was a little Dutch boy and was the hero. He got the girl! The title of the show (I think) was Windmills of Holland. He sang a solo whose lyrics went something like this: "Windmills of Holland are turning, round and around and around. Slowly, sedately, majestic, and stately, around they goooo." I find it interesting that I remember that little play and can sing that song to this day...forty-five years later.
Tim and I continued to grow, we went to high school together, he came to know the Lord as his personal savior there, he and I were involved with Campus Life (he more than I), we played football at school, were for a time on the gymnastics team together, he graduated from Trinity University (the Evangelical Free Church's university in the Chicagoland area), we both found girl friends, we were in each others weddings, and for the most part we have stayed in touch with each others lives over the years. There have been trials and tribulations for both of us, but we have weathered them. There has been a time of separation from each other, but we were, by the grace of God, reunited. His sister Vickie is about ten years our senior and she was well on her way to being an adult, married with children, before I realized that I was in love with her. Actually, I had a little guy crush on her. She had and still has the most beautiful eyes. They make Betty Davis's eyes look common. (If you don't understand that reference talk to your grandparents.)
There is something special about Tim to me. It is hard to put a finger on it. It is as if he is always there. Even during the period of separation...he was always there. I would think of him as often as I would close friends that I would see in church every weekend. I don't want to sound mystical or New Age, but there were times when I thought of Tim and knew, in my heart, that he was in trouble or going through hard times. I just knew. I can not prove this to you, you may not believe me, but I know it is true and I am willing to testify to you that it was so. One night, after a very long separation, I felt the leading of the Holy Spirit to look Tim up and then to write him a long and sincere letter. When he received it he called almost immediately. We just picked up where we had left off. I loved his mother, I loved his father, I loved his entire family. What is this feeling I have for Timothy?
I think it is what the Bible says about Jonathan and David. "Jonathan became one in spirit with David, and he loved him as himself." That is it. I became at some point "one in spirit with Timothy." I can not remember when it happened, it just did. He and I have another mutual friend Jeffrey, and I can say that about him too. The three of us are in some way "one in spirit." Read the book of I Samuel all the way through. Get a flavor of the times in which David and Jonathtsan lived. You will find that it was harsh and dangerous. You will read stories of God choosing men because of their hearts and not their appearances. You will read stories of political intrigue, jealousy, hatred, conspiracy, joy, treachery, mental illness and more, but through it all you will find a bond between these two men that God honored and whose story He preserved, so that we could have a good example of how full of love, grace, mercy, faithfulness, and wonder God is. He gives us these things very often in the form of a friendship between two men that become one in spirit.
I mean this following statement literally. I would gladly die for Tim and/or Jeffrey. I also know that they would rather sacrifice themselves than let me die in their place. I am sure if one of them read this posting he would make some sort of joke about, not being willing to die for me, but happy that I would be willing to die for him. After all we are friends and humor has been a big part of our relationships. However, in my heart I KNOW IT IS TRUE FOR ALL THREE OF US.
I don't use the term "best friend" for it causes all sorts of trouble. My love for my fellow beings knows no limits as it is grounded and supplied by our Lord Jesus Christ. I do not need to qualify my relationships in this manner. I have multiple friendships, many here in our little town and church, that are as one in spirit with me as my relationship with Tim. Tim...I've just been united with him in spirit the longest...that is all. That, my friends, is a blessing beyond the words of this post.
Friends should and can last a life time. Be aware that they are precious gifts from our Lord. Be aware that you have an obligation to be a friend like that to someone, it isn't about just you, it is about the other as Jonathan loved David as he loved himself. Work at it. You have to give yourself away. You have to take a chance. You have to love. You have to accept hurts. You must be willing to forgive and be forgiven. Friendship is a wondrous thing. And friendship of friendship...is Jesus a friend to all of us? Wasn't He willing to die in our place? Are you one in spirit with Him? If not...let's talk.
1 comment:
Bruce,
This is one of the most precious things my father taught me. Thanks for putting it to words.
Dan
Post a Comment