
It does not get any better than this. The eldest daughter marries a wonderful young man. So, what is next...for me, for my wife, for my family?
I have spent the majority of my working hours in the past six weeks getting ready for this event. Lawns needed to be mowed multiple times, rooms needed to be painted, windows replaced, decks pressure washed and sanded, furniture purchased, new carpet laid, phones to be answered, checks to be signed, bills to be paid. The list goes on and on. Interestingly it was my wife who had to do the most, though my work was physically more strenuous. On her fell the burden of organization, of relationships both near and far. That is the greatest task. With it comes stress. What a time. Will it ever come again? Well, we've two more daughters to go. We pray for them regularly. I could do this all over again and enjoy it just as much. But, daughters have much to do with these moments and there is no guarantee they will chose the same kind of fellow...that was key. We shall see. We shall pray. Always have and always will.
My mother just left one week after the wedding. That almost signaled the end. The end of the party. The real end came when our daughter called home on return from her honeymoon. A good and godly time was had. Two new lovers learning each other on all levels of the human experience. One week, not enough time. But, more time than most get and they came home happy. How I wish I could have given them a year to themselves like I have heard was done in Old Testament times. I could not. Society seems to be unwilling to. Computers and call lists and youth groups and coffee machines demand attention. Morning clocks ring their alarm and we are off early and fast. That is all right. Been there? yes, done that? sure, enjoyed those early married times and challenges? you bet! Time marches on, my daughter and her husband into their future and my wife and me into ours, and our parents into theirs...those that are left to be embraced.
God uses the wedding, the wedding feast, the wedding relationships often in the Bible. If I ever wondered why that was my questions ceased a week ago. It can be such a wonderful experience for all involved; the bridal party, the parents, siblings, extended family members, and friends of the family. We need stuff like this! We need traditional events that mark the passage of time, signify renewal and new birth, stand for purity of heart and mind, and reflect the relationship we have to Christ. He is the bridegroom and his church is the bride. There is no symbol so beautiful, so complete.
I'll be off to church tomorrow to worship my lord and savior, Jesus Christ. I'll go and worship just like I have done for years. But this time I will be more focused on thanksgiving than I've ever been before. Look for these times gentlemen. Work for these times. Savor these events when these graces are given to you. I did. Last Saturday I "caught" happiness for a time. She was in my grasp yet I held her gently, losely. Happiness, she looked me in the eye and smiled. She said, "hold me now." I did. Sleep will come and then Monday. It will seem that the pursuit begins again. Not really. She is with me now and forever. I choose not to let her go completely.
1 comment:
There is no doubt that you happiness showed at the wedding. I commented to Staci when you were dancing the father-daughter dance with Emily that this was probably the happiest moment of your life :) The look on your face made you look like you were in heaven!
I agree with a lot of your Russia comments. I have no doubt that Russia's moves are going to backfire, as it did inspiring wishy-washy Poland into finally signing the missile treaty, as well as driving Ukraine/Moldova/Georgia and others closer to the Western/NATO camp. However, I think the US is now realizing that Russia still has a lot more weight to thrown around then we would like to admit, and because of this we can no longer treat them as the drunken second-tier post-Soviet nation that we have for the last decade and a half.
As for Obama... I'm already extremely disappointed with him, specifically on his Middle East policies. I think he is the best of the two candidates, and as you know I certainly lean much further left than you do. I do like Biden however, except for his ardent Zionism, and he does certainly bring a great deal of foreign policy experience to the table, specifically in contrast to the beauty queen runner-up Republican vice president (and I must agree she is rather attractive!).
Enjoy the lingering days of summer!
Post a Comment