Love Those Stringed Instruments.

Love Those Stringed Instruments.
Wood Made More Beautiful Than Ever

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Reason Enough To Take Up Writing


I love this quote. It is the response of a well known author to this question. What do you think about? Her reply was, HOW DO I KNOW WHAT I THINK UNTIL I HAVE READ WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN?"I heard the quote during an interview the author had with Charlie Rose on Public Television. I am sorry that I can not find her name, but she is quite "deep" in her novels and challenges the minds of her readers. Her statement, which I could never have come up with, expresses perfectly to me why I love to read and write. Think about her statement and idea. Try writing your thoughts out in detail. You may find that you begin to know yourself much, much better.

3 comments:

Mike K said...

There is both something very freeing and also something very scary about writing one’s thoughts on paper. Carefully articulating my thoughts (in writing or in speech) forces me to think about what I really mean to say before I say it. Most of us are free to hold thoughts that we disagree with, don’t fully understand, may even be embarrassed or offended by. After all they are our private thoughts, for us alone. In our minds we can “try on” new ideas and beliefs and muse on them over time as we try to assimilate them into our own beliefs and ideas about the world or ultimately reject them when we can’t make them fit. This is a normal and necessary part of learning.

However, once ideas are expressed they are no longer abstract bits of data. They take on a life of their own, they are public, they are set in time and ascribed to their author. I now have to own them, believe them, be judged by them and held accountable to them – scary!

I read way more than I write. As the years go by, I feel a growing sense of urgency to learn more, experience more, be all I can be and know all I can know. I must work now while it is light; the Bible says that night is coming when no one can work. I also feel another pull – the desire to leave a legacy. I am what I read, but I will be remembered for what I write and the lives I have touched.

Thanks for the reminder.

Your buddy Mike

Emily said...

Great blogs Daddy-O! Keep up the good writing.

Josh said...

I love reading and writing! But I must confess that I do to little of both. However, I have recently started writing more and it is a thrilling experience to write something and than look back and the total work and realize that "It Was I Who Wrote That!"

Writing regularly would be an extremely healthy and helpful habit for me to develop. As you told me Bruce "It takes 60-90 days to create a habit." I don't know whether I will make writing regularly a habit, but I will seriously consider it.