Love Those Stringed Instruments.

Love Those Stringed Instruments.
Wood Made More Beautiful Than Ever

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Forgive Me! There Appears to be a Failure to Communicate

Please forgive me. I think that I've failed to communicate. I have reread my last blog. I am sort of cheap when it comes to purchasing things and I do let things wear out pretty bad before I replace them. However, as I looked at it I decided that it could be interpreted that I am some kind of environmental example for all young people and that I was trying to make others feel guilty about their materialism as if I had somehow reached some higher plane of spiritual existence. "Grasshopper, you must wait twenty years to have what is in your dreams." Nothing could be further from the truth. I am sure that if someone were to take an inventory of what I've prematurely thrown out in my life, if my purchases were all reviewed for their spiritual value, and every item was defined as either a want or a need...I would flunk like so many other Americans. As a matter of fact I am sure quite a few Europeans would flunk also. I too have been bitten by the newness syndrome. I have often fallen for slick marketing and considered myself before others. I have also satisfied many wants rather than being content with the answers to my true needs. My point was that we should at least take a look at ourselves, our things, and our motivations. And, we must not forget the elderly, what they are worth to God and what they should be worth to all of us.

Three main thoughts: 1) Failure to inspect, too see danger, can have terrible consequences. As a metaphor this can reach into many areas of our lives. 2) We throw things out too readily and create waste which is not something that our Lord would want us to do. Paul calls us to a spiritual contentment. Justice issues flow from this. 3) We must search (inspect our hearts) as it pertains to our elders and not marginalize them, but rather work to incorporate them into our lives in a meaningful way. We can bless them and they us beyond our wildest imaginations.

1 comment:

Mike K said...

OK, OK I have analyzed my materialist purchases over the last few years. Sure enough I am just as hedonistic and self indulgent as any American. By comparison you look like Mother Teresa. I couldn’t agree more that we need to listen to, value, engage and learn from the “seniors” among us. …Know any old guys that want to go for a ride on my Harley?

Your buddy Mike